Can you file for divorce from jail? 4 Answers as of June 20, 2011

Can someone file divorce papers from jail? The defendant is currently serving a sentence until 2013. His wife and son moved to Montana. He would like to file divorce papers from jail.

Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
Yes. You can file from jail.
Sure. But he's in Washington I assume and if the child has been in Montana for 6 months Washington will have probably lost jurisdiction over the child so he may be better off to file in Montana.
Seattle Divorce Services
Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
Assuming he can get the forms and someone to take them to the court for him, he should be able to file his own divorce. He might also want to consider hiring an attorney to assist him.
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
As far as I am aware, at least in Washington, there is no law preventing an inmate for filing for divorce. The logistics of completing the divorce may be difficult. Arranging for service of the papers and trying to participate in any hearings or in trial may be quite a problem, but it is possible.