Can you file for child support from outside of the US? 9 Answers as of June 10, 2013

I am living out of the country. Can I file child support from my child's father who is now living in the US?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Curry & Westgate
Law Office of Curry & Westgate | Patrick Curry
Yes hire a family law attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/23/2011
Michael Anthony Wing, P.C.
Michael Anthony Wing, P.C. | Michael Anthony Wing
I have not researched your jurisdictional inquiry but suggest that the home county of residence for the father would be a good start. Has the child lived in any state in the US for six months? I would file there, if so. Stay well.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 5/20/2011
The Grigsby Firm
The Grigsby Firm | Sherlock Grigsby
You can file support from where you are and if you are granted support, request to have the order given effect in the jurisdiction where the father lives.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Replied: 5/20/2011
Beaulier Law Office
Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
Child support is generally filed in the location that the parent with the child resides. That order can be enforced in States that have reciprocal treaties. However, if no child support order has been previously entered, a child support action may be filed in the location where the non-custodial parent resides.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 5/20/2011
The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
I would need more information to answer your question. A United States court for the state that your child's father lives in very likely has power over your child's father (personal jurisdiction), but I need more information to be able to tell whether the court has power over this legal issue, child support. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the first office visit. I know people worry about how expensive a lawyer is, so I am careful to be as inexpensive as I can for my clients. Before you spend a dime, you will know how much this is likely to be.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 5/20/2011
    Cody and Gonillo, LLP
    Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
    You must register your decree granting you support in the court where he resides and you can enforce (collect) it there.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 5/20/2011
    Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser
    Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser | Donald F. Conviser
    It would be possible if you already had a Paternity case in California, but difficult. You might be allowed to testify in the case by telephone. You would best consult, if not retain an experienced Family Law Attorney in the area where the case was filed. If there was no case filed, then it may be far more difficult, if not impossible, to seek Child Support in California from another country.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/19/2011
    Beresford Booth PLLC
    Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
    You should contact the State's child support enforcement office where the father lives (to start).
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 5/19/2011
    Law Office of L. Paul Zahn
    Law Office of L. Paul Zahn | Paul Zahn
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/10/2013
Click to View More Answers: