Can you drive with a permit if the adult is drunk? 5 Answers as of November 01, 2010

My son has his permit and he can drive with an adult 25 years or older in the car. We had him drive when we were coming back from a dinner party because my husband and I were too drunk to drive. He was speeding and caught by a police officer, who said we were in violation of the rules mandated by the permit. What happens now? Most importantly, will our son suffer any bad consequences as a result?

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
Check the citation to see what your son is charged with. If there is only the speeding he probably will not. But if it is necessary for him to actually appear in the Juvenile traffic court the commissioner could suspend his permit for a while.
The DMV may decide to revoke the permit. You should consult an attorney who specializes in DUI/DMV matters. With the DMV, requests have to be made timely, so time is of the essence.
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Unless they gave you some alcohol impairment tests, or admitted you were drunk, then I don't where you are violating anything
If he got a ticket, or if one is sent to him in the mail, he has to deal with the criminal charges, just like any other defendant. If he is sent notice by DMV of enforcement, he faces loss of license by them. Either way, yes, he is going to suffer consequences. If you and he are serious about hiring an attorney to help in this, feel free to contact me.
Yes he can suffer consequences for this. Your son is only allowed to drive with a responsible adult. If the adult was under the influence of alcohol it will create issues for you son.