Can you check if someone has filed bankruptcy? How? 15 Answers as of August 28, 2015

I agreed to loan a family member money and now he is claiming that he will not be able to repay me and that he has filed for bankruptcy. Is there a way to check if this is true? Are there public records for bankruptcy?

Call the bankruptcy court clerk to see how you can review a BK file. I can do this from my office, but I charge for this service. I would review the BK file with you, and discuss your options.
Yes you can look it up on PACER. Google that and you will find the instructions.
You can go on PACER.gov and look up his name in all the bankruptcy courts in the country. (Public Access to Court Electronic Records). A warning if the name is "William Smith" or something else common, you might want to narrow your search a bit. However, if he has really filed bankruptcy and he owes you money then you should have gotten a notice from the bankruptcy court within a couple days of the filing.
You can check on line through the bankruptcy court's pacer system. (You will have to register.) You can call the bankruptcy court where they live and the clerk will usually tell you.
Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
You can check with the bankruptcy court for the district in which your family member lives to see whether a bankruptcy case has been filed. If one was filed, you should have been notified by mail if the person owed you money at the time of filing. All debts must be listed and all creditors must be notified when a case is filed.
    Did you get a bankruptcy notice in the mail? If not, there probably is no bankruptcy. Liars never stop telling lies. The court maintains an online site where every bankruptcy case in the US can be reviewed for a nominal sum. That site is www.pacer.gov
    Yes, you can check "Pacer". Or you can go to the home page of the district courts.
    Contact the clerk of the U.S. Bankruptcy court which is part of the U.S. District court. That office will either do the search or tell you how to do it electronically. Call the clerk for the district where your debtor lives or has his principal assets.
    It is a public record. Seek counsel if you want to do it correctly.
    Yes. Bankruptcy records can be viewed at the bankruptcy court where the case was filed. Further, if they filed bankruptcy and you are a creditor, you should be listed in the bankruptcy pleadings and should receive a notice of the bankruptcy in the mail from the bankruptcy court.
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
    Yes it is public information you can call down to the bankruptcy court and you will be able to find that information.