Can you change your name after immigrating? 5 Answers as of July 14, 2011

I received my 10 yr green card in 2009. I've since been divorced from my US citizen spouse since 2010. Will I get in trouble if I file for a name change now with immigration? I didn't have the financial means in 2010 to file for a replacement card with my name change till now. I'd appreciate your help and thank you for taking the time to read my inquiry.

Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
No, you should have no problems changing the name on your green card. Just file for the name change with proof that you legally changed your name.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
You need to have proof of legal change of name. Look at your divorce, and search whether it states that you got your maiden name back. If so, get it certified, then file for a green card replacement. The USCIS filing fee is $450.
I don't see any problem filing for a new card with your name changed.
You are allowed to change your name. If you want your green card to reflect the change, you first must use the state court system to legally alter your name. Then you can reapply for a replacement green card.
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
You will need to file name change petition in state court. You can do it anytime you want. Alternatively, you may change your nameback to your maiden name in your divorce proceedings.