Can you change a legal separation into a divorce? 3 Answers as of November 05, 2010

My ex-husband and I were legally separated three years ago but now I want to remarry. Do I have to divorce my husband in order to do so? Will it be the exact same divorce process as if we were still married?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
Yes, you need to file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage and the process is very much the same. Hopefully you settled enough issues in the Legal Separation, that now there is nothing to fight about.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/5/2010
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko must have the divorce before you can marry another person. The process is very similar to the legal separation you went through.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/4/2010
Click to View More Answers: