Can you change a divorce settlement agreement? 4 Answers as of March 28, 2011

I'm in the process of getting a divorce. It's all relatively new so I'm feeling kind of lost. My husband has an attorney but I have not gotten one yet, mostly because I don't know which divorce attorneys in my area are good. My husbandis trying to take the house, the stocks, the pensions, and leave me with nothing. He is also trying to take joint custody of our son, but doesn't want to pay any child support. I felt really stuck, so I signed the divorce decree, but it is really not fair and I don't feel like I should be getting this raw of a deal... especially since I wanted to work things out and he wanted a divorce. Can I change the divorce decree, or could the judge change it, or am I stuck?

Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
The answer is maybe. You can always ask the court to modify child visitation and support so that might be the easiest improvement to make. You may also ask to modify spousal support if you did cot completely waive it in the Marital Settlement Agreement. As for the asset division, that will be the hardest thing to fix. You might have to attempt to set aside the judgment. Call an attorney ASAP and set a time for him or her to review your Marital Settlement Agreement in detail.
It was a mistake to sign the divorce decree if it was unfair to you. It may be difficult or impossible to reverse the damage. You should PROMPTLY interview experienced family law attorneys and retain one to try to set aside the Judgment that you signed.
If you are not in agreement with a settlement agreement, contact his attorney immediately and advise that you are rescinding your agreement and that he/she has no authority to file the agreement. Once the judgment is entered, it generally cannot be modified, so time is of the essence. If you are in my area and are looking for an attorney, please contact me for a free consultation.
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
If the settlement agreement has not been filed with the court you can call me today and I can stop the agreement form going forward. If you delay, no one will be able to help you. Timing is everything here.