Can you be charged with mailing illegal drugs by receiving them? How? 7 Answers as of May 13, 2015

Someone mailed me 100g of marijuana, and the postal service opened it. There was no return address, but now I am being charged with mailing illegal drugs. They think I mailed it to myself. I am really scared. I did research and saw that under TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 83 > 1716B, I could go to jail for a year if convicted. Can they even charge me with this without any real evidence that I sent it? What should I do? Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You are a co-conspirator with the person that mailed it. So, you need to retain the right attorney.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/13/2015
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
You need to hire an attorney to represent you in this matter. If your case is in the Tampa Bay area, and you would like a free consultation, contact my office at the number below.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/13/2015
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
The short answer to your question is yes. You can be charged with mailing illegal drugs even if you were the receiving party. However, the government must prove all elements of the charged crime beyond a reasonable doubt. Prosecution would have a tough time doing that if you did not admit anything and the only evidence the government has is the fact that you received a package. Call me if you have any further questions.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/12/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
You should get an attorney, and say nothing to anyone without counsel. The authorities are not your friend and are looking to build a case AGAINST you.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/12/2015
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
I am sure they have the evidence they think they need to charge you. Not seeing the charging documents, I can't say with certainty. My advice.... hire an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/12/2015
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    It is best if you have a lawyer. They can charge you very little evidence, but once trial starts, they better bring proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Ultimately, if you knew someone was sending you drugs through the mail and you did something to aid in that endeavor, you are guilty (if they can prove it). In Federal Court, your sentence depends on the charge and your prior record. There are things you can do to lower a sentence. A knowledgeable lawyer can make sure you get the best result whether you are guilty or not.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 5/12/2015
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    You have the right to remain silent. Only idiots talk to investigators/cops. Remember, no matter what you say it will be twisted around and used against you later.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/12/2015
Click to View More Answers: