Can you be arrested for not showing up to court on a civil suit if you got a writ of summons but you did not sign for it? 4 Answers as of October 07, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Gottlieb & Goren, P.C.
Gottlieb & Goren, P.C. | Aaron W. Goren
No, if you mean a summons that was served to let you know you are being sued. However, unless you properly respond in a timely manner, a judgment can be entered against you. You do not have to sign for the summons.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/7/2013
The Troglin Firm | William M. Troglin
No you cannot be arrested for not showing up. When someone files a civil suit against you, the Sheriff or a process server hand you or a family member a copy of the Complaint and the Summons. The Summons tells you that you must file an answer if you plan to defend against the law suit. If you do not file an answer, the Plaintiff can take a default judgment after 45 days.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 10/7/2013
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
For a summons alone? No. You cannot get arrested for not answering a summons. You will likely have a judgment entered against you.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 10/7/2013
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
1. A signature is normally not required for valid service, unless by certified mail. 2. The normal consequence of ignoring a summons is that a judgment is entered against you. 3. Particularly if you are sued by a debt buyer, you should not default. You are admitting both that the plaintiff is the proper party to sue you and that the amount claimed is correct to the last penny. If you are not certain of either, you need to appear and defend. Debt buyers cannot prove anything. Even creditors may not be able to prove all that they claim. 4. You cannot be arrested for not paying a debt or defaulting in a civil case. 5. If you have a judgment against you and are served with an order requiring your appearance to answer questions about your assets or income, you must appear, or an order for your arrest can be issued.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 10/7/2013
Click to View More Answers: