Can you apply for citizenship with a green card expiring in less than 2 months? 10 Answers as of February 25, 2014

Instead of renewing my green card I would like to apply for citizenship, however I was under the impression that you could apply for naturalization as long as your green card was still valid and now my green card expires in 2 months. Should I file for both? If so, file two separate forms?

Law Offices of Rizwan M. Khalid
Law Offices of Rizwan M. Khalid | Rizwan Khalid
I encourage you to see an immigration attorney to file for your citizenship. Many attorneys offer Skype consultation and are able to help from anywhere in the United States.
Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
Your green card may expire, but your status as a legal resident does not expire just because the physical Form I-551 [Alien registration receipt [green card] expires. If you have the means to simultaneously renew your green card [Form I-90] and file for citizenship [Form N-400] at the same time, I suggest you do both. You can never assume your citizenship application will be granted.
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
No. Your green card must be valid for at least 6 months when you apply for citizenship.
Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
Just apply for Citizenship if you have no disqualifying factors such as recent criminal conviction, etc.
You do not need to renew your green card. However, it may advisable if you may need to travel outside the U.S.
    Penn Law
    Penn Law | Gigi Penn
    If you are ready and eligible to apply for naturalization, you may submit your application instead of renewing your green card. The USCIS will mail you a receipt (I-797) showing that you have submitted your application. Be sure to carry a copy of this with your expired green card. Although you retain your LPR status even with an expired green card, it is probably best that you don't travel out of the country until your naturalization, to avoid issues at re-entry.
    Baughman & Wang
    Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
    No need to renew green card if you plan to file N400 and you do not plan to travel outside of the U.S. in the next 6 months.
    Law Office of Rebecca White
    Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
    You can file for naturalization and not file for the replacement card. If you need proof of status in the interim you may make an info pass appointment to have your passport endorsed to reflect your permanent resident status.
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
    You can file for naturalization even with an expired green card. No need to renew or waste your money in applying for both. Just spend the $680.
    Alena Shautsova
    Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
    Yes, you can.