Can you answer my immigration questions? 2 Answers as of June 17, 2011

My European girlfriend is 2 months pregnant living abroad. I am a LPR and will not be able to become a USC until 2015. (I received my GC in 2010) If we get married, what options do I have to bring her to the USA legally? I am assuming I will have to live 6 months or less overseas with her, then travel back to the US to keep my status until 2015, but I'm hoping there is another way. I've also been thinking about postponing marriage, until I am a USC to illustrate non-immigrant intent for her so she can visit me. Is this a good idea? Lastly, will my child become a citizen after I naturalize? (Assuming under guardianship of my gf/wife) Sorry for the details - but the complex immigration laws makes us this way! I am desperate to keep my future family together. Any direction appreciated.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
If you think you will be outside the U.S. for more than 180 days; then file re-entry permit while inside the U.S. (approval will be sent to the U.S. consulate); this allows you to remain outside the U.S. for up to 2 year periods - but the time outside the U.S. will break your continuous presence. You can file for citizenship 4yrs and 9 months after becoming an LPR.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/17/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
To fully answer your questions I would need to do a full consult with you. That takes about one hour and my fee is $150. If you were married before you became an LPR you can sponsor your wife now. Otherwise you van file the first step now and it will take a few years for her to apply for the actual green card. In the meantime, she will want to see if there are other categories available to her- such as school or employment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: