Can you adopt after filing for bankruptcy? 10 Answers as of October 16, 2013

My husband and I are in the process of adopting. We are behind in our bills and we've being taking about filing chapter 13. Will we still be able to adopt?

I am sure that the bankruptcy will not stand in your way.
Rhymer Law Firm
Rhymer Law Firm | William Rhymer
To the best of my knowledge, the Chapter 13 would not hinder the adoption process so long as you otherwise met the adoption requirements.
Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
It depends on the adoption agency rules. Nothing in the bankruptcy rules would stop you, but some adoption agencies consider it a sign that you are not financially stable and make you wait varying periods of time before you can adopt.
William Bidwell, Attorney at Law | Bill Bidwell
You need to check with the adoption agency as to whether financial status is a criterion for adopting.
    You will have to show the state department of welfare that you can afford to support an additional person in your household. Whether being in a Chapter 13 and devoting all your income to your plan payments will prevent you from doing this is an issue of what your budget allows.
    That is a question for the adoption agency.
    Law Office of Robert Sisson | Robert Sisson
    Sure. Why not?
    The Law Offices of Deborah Ann Stencel | Deborah A. Stencel
    There is nothing in the bankruptcy code or rules that would prevent you from adopting. It would be better to ask this question of an adoption lawyer than a bankruptcy lawyer.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    There is nothing in the code that would prevent you from adopting, but you should really ask yourself, if you're unable to meet your financial obligations now, what reason do you think you'll be able to meet them any better with another person to support. A child is one of the most expensive propositions can consider and I would urge you to get your financial house in order before you add more obligations.