Can you adjust your status from H2B to Immigrant? 4 Answers as of June 20, 2011

I have a friend who knows someone under H2B visa who filled a petition to become an immigrant. Is there really a way to do this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
The problem with this scenario is that an H-2B must show they intend to return home at the end of their H-2B status and with a permanent resident or immigrant visa application you are indicating an intent to return. There are many different types of permanent residency processes to immigrate. Some can be completed very quickly and others take years to complete. Some require a showing of maintenance of status and some do not in order to adjust. Best would be to know more facts regarding what type of immigrant visa you are thinking about. If it is one of the shorter types of PR, then it may be possible to adjust while still in the U.S.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/20/2011
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
Yes, a person may adjust status from H2B.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/20/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
Yes on the provision you qualify for an Immigrant visa.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/20/2011
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC | Daniella Lyttle
H2B is not a path to citizenship or green card. Maybe your friend became eligible through family based immigration?
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: