Can we use the same petition to get citizenship? 7 Answers as of July 27, 2011

My mom petitioned for my dad back in 1994, petition was approved that same year. We used that I-130 to do the Adjustment of Status, we then received an RFE on 2005. We never respond to that RFE! My question is can we use that same petition and finish up the Adjustment of Status or do we need to do another I-130?

Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
If the I-130 was approved and not cancelled, it is still viable. At long last, maybe you would like an attorney to assist. 15 years is a long time for a case to be un-finalized.
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
You need an approved petition to complete the adjustment of status. You may consider filing a new petition, or investigating whether the first petition was ultimately denied for abandonment.
You probably need to refile. My guess is that that case was denied because you failed to reply.
Are you already a permanent resident ? or in 2005 the RFE was for your residency application? If you applied for residency and your application was denied because you did not respond to RFE, yes, you may use the I-130 petition because it has not been used yet. I hope I answered your question.
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
You need to consult with a lawyer. If you never responded to the RFE the petition was denied and it's possible removal proceedings were initiated and an order of removal entered.