Can we sue the makers of a tanning lotion after it caused our daughters death? How? 15 Answers as of July 10, 2015

Our 18 year old daughter died after using tingle tanning lotion. The two girls that tanned with her were ill as well after tanning. My daughter went home to wash off the lotion and passed out in the tub and drowned on July 28, 2014. Is there anything that we can do in court about this loss?

Adler Law Group, LLC
Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
I am so sorry for your loss. Absolutely you have claim if a medical professional can verify the lotions effect in causing her to pass out and that it was defective. The lotion is a Product under the law and there is strict liability for its defects.
You need a chemist, a pharmacologist, and a medical doctor to link the tanning solution to the death. Was an autopsy performed? What drugs were the girls taking? There is something else going on here.
This question is remarkably similar to one I answered on June 16. Suing is one thing, proving your case is another. I hope you have the remainder of the bottle of this product. You will need to hire at least one, perhaps several expert witnesses with regard to toxicology, product defect, causation and possibly other issues. It will take years and is going to be a great emotional strain It is not likely to settle ao you need to find a law firm that has extensive experience in "toxic torts", "products liability" and "wrongful death". I recommend you do not simply go to some firm that has a big advertising budget and will take any case that walks in the door. Interview several lawyers with different firms and select the one that makes you feel the most comfortable. Good luck.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
In response to your question, I did some research. People are becoming lightheaded, and even passing out, from tingle tanning lotion. Your matter is absolutely worth investigating, to see if something can be pursued. Product liability laws have gotten very tough for plaintiffs. But, such matters can still be pursued, if handled properly. This matter should definitely be looked into further.
Law Offices of Carl L. Brown | Carl L. Brown
This tragic incident is certainly worth looking into. Do you have the product bottle? Was there an autopsy?
    I am sorry for your loss, but you have already posted this question and you have added just a little information, but fail to tell us how becoming ill from the lotion caused her to drown [did it make her so ill that she passed out in the tub and drown?]. ?Go to some local personal injury attorneys and tell them all the facts to see what they think, but I think it is going to be very difficult to connect the use of the lotion with her death.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    Product manufacturers are generally subject to liability if you can prove that their product was defectively designed or manufactured and that it caused harm. You may also be able to sue for breach of warranty of fitness.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    Do you know what was listed as the cause of death? You may have a case against the company that made the tanning lotion, but you would have to prove that the tanning lotion caused your daughter's death. It would also be worth checking to see if there have been similar claims previously made against the company.
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    Yes, but don't think for a moment that anyone including we lawyers will accept your version of events without expert witness proof. You've inexplicably lost a year.
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    Yes, so long as you have a sound medical opinion that the tanning lotion caused her to death. However, I do not believe that will be possible.
    There may be. CONSULT AN EXPERIENCED PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER RIGHT AWAY. There is a cause of action for wrongful death. But if the matter went to trial, you would have to have at least one medical expert to testify that something identifiable in the lotion was the direct, proximate, foreseeable, cause of your daughter's death. The lawyer will need to see the autopsy report, and any other relevant medical papers. I am awfully sorry for your loss. I hope all goes well for you from now on. Keep in mind there is a statute of limitations for such legal actions, generally three years.