Can we sue a high school coach? 1 Answers as of September 01, 2010

My son plays high school football. They have had two a days throughout the entire month of August. Temperatures have been extremely high. My son passed out from heat exhaustion and had to be taken to the hospital and given an IV. The coach has been very uncooperative and takes no responsibility. What can we do? We would at least like to have him fired so that he does not hurt any more children.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Tomalas Law Firm
Tomalas Law Firm | Ryan Tomalas
This sounds as though it would be a pretty difficult legal claim to make, and from a practical standpoint since (1) the remedy you are seeking is for the coach to be terminated, and (2) your sons claim is probably not "worth" very much money, you may have a difficult time finding a lawyer to represent your son on a contingency fee basis - meaning that you would have to hire a lawyer on an hourly fee basis and pay them an hourly rate. In this case, you would likely incur an expense and have a pretty low chance of being successful.

Based on the limited information you have provided, you might have more success by simply writing letters to the school district/superintendent, the school board, the principal and the athletic director of the school regarding your concerns.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/1/2010
Click to View More Answers: