Can we really not enter the home of our dying Father without being arrested? Posted on June 17, 2011

My father is in the hospital on life support and has been there for 9 days... we just found out today. He has had a man living in his home for a few months who just got around to notifying us. My brother took a police officer to my father's house so we could go in and remove the man and look for any legal documents concerning insurance and a will but the officer would not let us enter my Father's home because he said that the man has legal possession of the home and all of my Father's possession's including his vehicles. We were told we would be arrested if we entered the house. The man has removed vehicles from the property and several other items. He has my Father's wallet, keys, cell phone, bank cards etc. Can we really not enter the home of our dying Father without being arrested? And can we really not report my father's vehicle and other property as stolen? This is in Chattanooga. Please advise