Can we press charges against a hit and run driver? 3 Answers as of September 19, 2012

4 of us were walking at the crosswalk, a driver ran through the red light at 1:45am and hit and killed my girlfriend. I tried to revive her but she died. The car kept going didn't even stop just drove off. They found the driver almost 6 hours later. Do we have a civil case as witnesses or attempted manslaughter charges against the driver?

The Torkzadeh Law Firm
The Torkzadeh Law Firm | Reza Torkzadeh
First of all, I am very sorry about your loss. To answer your questions - Absolutely yes. There are many variations to making bystander claims - most commonly known as being set for in the landmark case
Sorry to hear of your loss. "Pressing charges" is for the government. You and your friends cannot do that as it is a criminal court action. That does not mean you cannot individually sue this person. Emotional distress based on your friend being injured and killed, would be difficult. But each of you might have a separate and distinct claim apart from the trauma of watching your friend be killed.