Can we legally prevent a 16 yr old girl from contacting our 14 yr old son and he's being negatively influenced by her? 9 Answers as of June 13, 2013

My 14-year-old son became involved with a 16-year-old girl at summer camp last August. Since then he has been on a severe downward spiral at school, orchestra, and in our family. His grades went from straight A's to low B's and C's in one junior high semester. He has subsequently lost his position in an esteemed orchestra, lost his music teacher who did not want to continue to teach him, has become dramatically unreasonable and even violent by punching out holes in his room walls. All of which is radically different behavior for him. Way beyond the normal teenage hormonally-induced issues. We have clearly explained to the girl's parents the deterioration of our son due to exposure to and involvement with this girl who is much more mature than our son who is a late bloomer. And we have insisted that she break off communications with our son. But they have not cooperated at all. Our son cannot help himself because she is older, tells him she loves him and wants to marry him when they grow up. And, according to a letter our son wrote to her that we intercepted, they had attempted to engage in some sort of sexual touching or intercourse. He has completely lost himself. He does not care about anything else or anyone in his life, including himself and his future. He is losing many opportunities that we have built up over many years. Yesterday, the girl picked up our son and drove him to a nearby parking lot without our permission. My wife saw him get into the car. She is not legally allowed to drive with a minor in her car because she only recently got her driver license. So she clearly broke the law then. She also clearly engaged in statutory rape of our son when they engaged in sexual touching or intercourse. Then, last night our son ran away from home to go see the girl. Fortunately, two local police officers saw our son, and brought him home at 4am. The relationship with this girl is totally destroying our son, our family.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Report the whole matter to the police. She could be put in the juvenile justice system.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/13/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You can file a TPO.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/11/2013
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
This is a sad situation indeed. I don't know how to rectify the situation. You blame the girl for the boy's deteriorating situation. You make accusations that may or may not be known to be actual. I would suggest contacting the youth officer in your police or sheriff department, and have a meeting with all parties involved. Be specific about issues YOU HAVE PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE ABOUT. You certainly do NOT want to make accusations that you cannot prove, or you can end up in serious trouble. Let the authorities recommend a course of action which may entail somehow breaking up this relationship. It may be that your son will need some form of counselling from your area's social welfare agency.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 6/11/2013
Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
Counseling is probably the best thing for your son. You can try to obtain an "Order of Protection" and "Stay Away Order" for your son, who is still a minor. (The results will most likely vary from judge to judge and county to county)
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/11/2013
Webster & Associates | Anita Webster
There is no easy answer to this. Restraining orders are normally designed to keep you from being threatened or harassed. You could try to get a restraining order against her but it sounds like your son would violate it. The real concern is that she gets pregnant. You will have to closely monitor his activities. You could possibly consider sending him out of state if you have a relative you trust.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/11/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    You may have enough to obtain a no contact order.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 6/11/2013
    Aronoff & Linnell, PLLC | Erik C. Stein
    Sure, file for a Personal Protection Order from the Court.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/11/2013
    The Law Offices of Mandy J. McKellar
    The Law Offices of Mandy J. McKellar | Mandy J. McKellar
    No you can't legally stop him from doing what he is doing. Perhaps you should start by educating your son regarding sex, drugs and all the potential evilness in the world. Then trust him as he starts leaving the home to make the correct decisions. He sounds fairly intelligent. Counseling is another option. Statutory rape depends on the various laws in your state. Communication and acceptance would be the best option at this point.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 6/11/2013
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    Call the police and report the behavior. She can be charged with sexual assault of a child.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 6/11/2013
Click to View More Answers: