Can we gift equity to my daughter if she is buying my father’s house from the estate? 13 Answers as of May 14, 2014

My dad left his house free and clear to be divided among his four children. The house is in probate and my sister is the executor. My daughter is buying the house from the estate. The house was appraised by the bank for $68,000 and we are selling it to her for $60,000. Can we, the beneficiaries, gift her the equity to cover down payment and closing cost? She is approved for a Federal Housing Administration loan. All four of the beneficiaries of the estate agree to gift the equity if it is possible. Thank you.

Christine Sabio Socrates Attorney at Law | Christine Socrates
Yes, if all beneficiaries are in agreement, this can be done with approval by the court.
Yes as long as the mortgage company does not object.
Why not?
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Yes you may gift her enough equity to cover the down payment and closing costs. equally if all beneficiaries agree.
Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
Yes, this can certainly be done.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    Yes they can, but it needs to be in writing and run through the probate with a proper Notice of Proposed Action so it does not come back on anyone.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    That will probably not fly with the lender. They will then treat the purchase price at $60,000. It sounds like you want to treat it as $68,000 with her "owning" $8,000 equity.
    Generally, the FHA will treat the sales price as the value of the house. They aren't impressed with the argument that "the house is really worth $68k but we are gifting her $8k by selling it for $60k". They allowed a ton of that and it was one of the major causes of the financial crisis.
    Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
    Yes, but be sure to file your gift tax returns.
    You need to talk with the lender to see if it is allowed. Your daughter's mortgage broker should have the answer.
    See an attorney, certainly that should be possible legally, the question is going to be whether or not it is satisfactory to the lender.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    It is possible to gift the equity but the gift has to be disclosed to the lender and has to done in a manner that is acceptable to the lender. If the estate has sufficient cash it should make a cash gift to the daughter and the daughter would deposit the check and write an earnest money deposit check in the same amount to the estate as a credit against the purchase price. The four heirs should consent to the gift in writing and acknowledge the gift as a partial distribution of the estate that they want delivered to your daughter on their behalf. The lender will probably require each heir to execute a gift letter. The mechanism of this gift should be reviewed by the loan officer your daughter is using to make sure the underwriter will not consider this gift to be a reduction in the purchase price. It may be that the gifts will have to be made as a partial distribution to the heirs and then the heirs independently make the gifts to your daughter. It may be that the gifts should be disproportionate, in other words your gift might be greater so that the relative shares of the gift is not the same as the shares due the heirs in the estate.
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    I can't find any precedent that says it'll be a problem.