Can we get something like alimony in California? 2 Answers as of March 21, 2011

My mom was in a relationship for 16 year in which they lived together, after cheating on her he is kicking her out of their house and leaving her with nothing. She is not on the deed, but did help pay all bills including mortgage and they kept a joint bank account. They never got married because he claimed it would be better since she is disabled and would be able to get benefits. Later, she found out he was still married, which could have been part of it. Though he hasn't seen his wife in alost 20 years and claims not to know how to get a hold of her. I know CA doesn't recognize common law marriage. Is there anything we can do? Is there something like alimony she can sue for? I know there is palimony but they only had a verbal agreement. Being on disability she does not have the means to support herself and has not worked since they moved in together.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
It is not a simple task, but she might have rights to some sort of support or division of assets under the Marvin case. Consult with any attorney before you make any moves.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/21/2011
Law Office of L. Paul Zahn
Law Office of L. Paul Zahn | Paul Zahn
I am sure that others will disagree with me, but I don't believe that your mother is entitled to palimony (which is her only avenue of recovery in California). She does not have any good faith belief that they were legally married and I am not hearing anything to suggest that she was promised that she would be taken care of for any period of time. Perhaps others will disagree.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: