Can we get rid of a warrant? 9 Answers as of June 08, 2015

I found out my son has a warrant for his criminal misdemeanor. What is he facing? What do we need to do right now? Do we need to get him a lawyer?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You need to retain an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/8/2015
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
You should retain an attorney to represent your son. They can file a Motion to Recall the Warrant and schedule a hearing for them to go in and discuss the violation with the judge. If your case is in the Tampa Bay area and you would like a free consultation, contact my office at the number below.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/8/2015
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
You do need to retain an attorney for him. He needs to turn himself in to void the warrant.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/5/2015
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
You don't say what the charge is. I suggest that you contact the court and see if the court has a "warrant re-call calendar". If so, get on the calendar and appear in court. Also, yes, you should consult an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/5/2015
Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
Hammerschmidt Broughton Law | Mark A. Broughton
You are always wise to hire a lawyer. Either you or your lawyer are going to have to go to court and request that the case be put on the court's calendar to have the warrant recalled. Then the case has to be handled in court, which could take one hearing or many; it might even result in a trial. It is impossible to say what he is facing without knowing the exact charges, but most misdemeanors in California carry a maximum of one year in jail, though there are some that are 6 month misdemeanors. That doesn't mean that your son will actually be sentenced to the maximum if convicted - probably not - but it depends on many factors. Consult with an attorney to discuss the situation even if you decide not to hire one.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/5/2015
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    You should hire a lawyer to go to court to recall the warrant. A lawyer can do this without him present if the underlying charge is a misdemeanor, so it is less risky for your son.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/5/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Yes, he needs a lawyer. There is so little information I could tell you nothing else.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/5/2015
    Jefferson and Biggs | Matthew Jefferson
    Yes get him a lawyer. They can pull the warrant and set a court date.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 6/5/2015
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq. | Stephanie Lee Ehrbright
    He needs to either walk in to the court to quash the warrant or have an attorney submit a motion to quash the warrant. ?What he is facing depends on the circumstances and what the charge is. ?Technically a misdemeanor can mean up to 6 months in jail, but it usually does not mean that much. ?The risk with him walk in to court to quash the warrant is the judge might hold him and set bail. ?If you have an attorney look in to it then you can find out all of that beforehand.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 6/5/2015
Click to View More Answers: