Can we get married after I get my green card? 2 Answers as of March 21, 2011

My mother is a green card holder and is in the USA, but I am out of the USA. I still haven’t gotten my green card from my mother. I am going to get married, and we both want to go to the USA but my mother refuses to accept him. Can we get married after I get my green card? I am 20.

If your mother is only a Green Card holder and you get married the petition she filed for you will automatically be revoked and you will not be able to get a Green Card through the petition. Once you get your Green Card you can get married and they petition him.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Legally speaking, get your green card first. Do not get married before your process is completed. Marriage to anyone will annul the petition your mother filed for you...because a green card holder can not file for a married son or daughter. you will not loose your green card if you get married after arriving in the US as a green card holder.