Can we get in trouble if our underage roommate is caught drinking? 2 Answers as of June 14, 2011

Me and 2 other girls are living in a house together. Me and 1 of my roommates and 21 the other is 19. If we decided to have a party with other friends who are 21 as well, could we get in trouble for the 19 year old being there if she isn't drinking? Even if she lives in the house?

Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
You would really only get in trouble if she was under 18 or if you supplied her with alcohol. There's a crime called "Endangering the Welfare of a Minor" that I suppose would apply, but again, your roommate would have to be under 18. It is also a crime to give, buy or make alcohol available to a minor, but if she's not drinking then you're not doing anything illegal as long as it's a private home. In fact, even if she's sneaking drinks it's not illegal unless you know she is and you're letting her do it.
Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
Wildly unlikely. Providing alcohol to the 19-year-old is an offense of sorts, but it's no offense for an adult to drink alcohol in the presence of a minor.