Can we force subdivide our property? 3 Answers as of November 20, 2015

My husband and I are 50% owners of property with my sisters family owning the other half. We both have our homes here, we would like to subdivide, so we have legal ownership of our own place, they do not. There have been issues the whole way, we want out of the legal partnership, but want to keep our home. What can we do?

Yes, you have a remedy. Please get a referral from your local bar association to a real estate lawyer.
Law Office of Nathan Wagner
Law Office of Nathan Wagner | Nathan J. Wagner
You will have to work with your sister to subdivide the property. You can force the sale of the property, with the sale price being divided 50/50. But you will need your sister's cooperation to subdivide. You should talk to a local real estate lawyer about how to do this.
Contact a real estate lawyer; sounds like the matter will be messy, and will cost funds for representation.