Can we file locally for an out of state incident of Contempt of Parenting Plan? 4 Answers as of July 04, 2013

My boyfriend was divorced in Washington State, his ex now lives in Seattle and we have moved to Bend OR. His ex is refusing to let kids visit and is in violation of the parenting plan. Do we have to file documents in Cowlitz County? Or can we somehow be able to file here locally?

Seattle Divorce Services
Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
If your parenting plan is from Washington and the ex still lives in Washington with the kids, then Washington still has jurisdiction. You should file your motion in Washington.
That's a question for an Oregon attorney but I bet you'll have to file where the Mother is.
Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
This is a jurisdictional question. Washington retains jurisdiction; but, if the children are now in OR for more than 6 months, you can register the plan and then proceed with your motion.
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
Basically, you are asking: Do we have to file a motion for contempt in Washington or can we file it in Oregon. From what little bit you have told me, it sounds like jurisdiction for a contempt would be in Washington. This is critical because a court without jurisdiction can't legally do anything. Therefore, unless something has been done that changed jurisdiction from Washington to Oregon, your contempt is going to have to be filed in Washington. Since it sounds like the last order of the court was in Cowlitz County, Washington, that would be the proper place to file for contempt.