Can we do something about the way our sons mother treats him when she has custody? 1 Answers as of March 24, 2011

Since my husbands son was two, we have put him in preschool and then kindergarten. His mom was never involved in anything of that. She never asked about him, and now she wants to take him the whole week. She works and isn’t able to take care of him after school. Mom will let him do what ever he wants or gets him whatever he want as long as his happy even when he is bad or does wrong stuff so he likes being with her. We give him stuff when he does well in school. He has a bedtime and rules with us and is happy, but on Sundays when he come back to us, he’s upset with us. We feel like his mom is brainwashing him. What we can do? My husband has 75 percent custody.

Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
This is a pretty big question and would be hard to properly answer in an email. You need to keep doing what you are doing and make sure you continue to have a strong position as the primary care givers. The last thing you would want is for mom to get more than the 25% she already has. As to whether or not you can limit her further, I do not know. You have the right to file an action requesting a modification to reduce her time, but I do not have enough information to know if you would win or lose. You should consult with an attorney face to face and see what is the best game plan.