Can we do a power of attorney even though we are still on mortgage? 6 Answers as of May 29, 2014

I own a home with mortgage. We recently had fire and want to give my son complete power of attorney for the property to make all decisions, insurance, contractor, house payments. My husband and I are on deed and so is my son as joint tenant. I don't want to be involved with any decision making as we are seniors and cannot handle the stress.

Yes, you can. If you (or your son) are good with the computer, you can find the form on-line.
Yes, you can give your son power of attorney to rebuild your home. However, I don't think you need to do that since he is a joint tenant and has as much right as you do to make decisions regarding the house. Why do you want to give your son a power of attorney?
Yes, a POA doesn't take the property out of your name it merely transfers your powers to your son.
James Law Group
James Law Group | Christine James
Yes you can give him power of attorney even though you have a mortgage.
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
You can give your son a power of attorney, but it must be notarized.
    Yes you can. Please obtain the services of a estate planning attorney to draft power for you. If not drawn properly, can cause consequences you may not like. The old saying still applies, an ounce of prevention is cheaper than a pound of cure.