Can we change child custody rights in a different state? 1 Answers as of August 05, 2011

I have a current child support case in Illinois but the non custodial parent want to give up his rights and my husband of 4 years wants to adopt my daughter do we have to do this in Illinois or can we do it in michigan were we currently live?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Coyle Law Office
The Coyle Law Office | T. Andrew Coyle
You may want to check with a Michigan attorney to determine at what point the child is considered a resident of Michigan, but you would likely have the proceedings done in Michigan and then something would need to be filed in the Illinois case showing that the father's rights and duties there are terminated.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 8/5/2011
Click to View More Answers: