Can we bring a lawsuit against someone who caused a multi-car accident in California? 5 Answers as of January 28, 2011

Yesterday while walking, an older gentleman backed out of a parking spot and then proceeded to drive back into the stall while gassing it straight into a parking meter that I was behind with my mother and mother in law. After hitting the parking meter he hit 4 other cars, then was stopped by police around the block and admitted to everything. I happened to notice what was going on so I was able to push my mothers car out of the way and get out of the way myself. Since yesterday, we have all been pretty shaken up with nightmares and my mother in law and I are in increased pain (we both have bad backs). Is there anything we can do?

Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
Likely the police have prepared an incident report. If you can obtain a copy of the report, you can learn the driver's information and his insurance company's information. You can then call them to make a claim.
El Dabe Law Firm
El Dabe Law Firm | Edmond El Dabe
Yes, you have a valid claim against that man and his insurance company. That man is liable under negligence theory for all of your damages, including your medical bills, property damage, pain and suffering and lost wages.
West Themis Law, A Professional Law Corporation
West Themis Law, A Professional Law Corporation | Sally S. Chan, Esq.
In tort law, if you are a foreseeable victim, the person acting in negligence or gross negligence may be responsible for any injuries caused by their own action.

In your case, the hard part seems to be locating or identifying the person now. You should go the authorities that cited the person for whether there was any official charge or citation. If you can obtain all this information, you should speak to an personal injury attorney.
Without being struck by the automobile, it is difficult to claim personal injuries.