Can the Washington driver who caused my injuries after a bad car crash be held responsible for my wifes and my medical bills? 4 Answers as of January 24, 2011

My wife and I were involved in a car crash last year. It was definitely not our fault, and after rehab and surgery, our medical bills have amounted to about $1 million. She needed surgery on her neck and back, and I needed personal therapy to help with the pain. Will the person who caused our injuries be required to pay for our bills?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Patrick Kang
Patrick Kang | Premier Law Group, PLLC
You can certainly hold a person accountable for their negligence, but whether or not that person can afford to pay the judgment entered against him/her is all going to depend on the type of insurance the negligent driver had. Assuming it's not enough to pay all of your medical expenses, there are other things an experienced lawyer can do as part of their investigation to make sure you obtain maximum recovery for your injuries, but you need to hire an experienced lawyer. Before you decide to hire anyone, go to my firm's website and request our free materials that tells you what you should know and the right questions to ask to make sure you and your wife hire the right experienced personal injury lawyer. Good luck and sorry to hear about your situation.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/24/2011
Premier Law Group
Premier Law Group | Jason Epstein
If a determination is made that the accident was the other party's fault, then they are legally obligated to pay all of the medical bills that were caused by their negligence. That would include all of the medical care that both you and your wife received. Further, they will also be legally obligated to make you whole in the form of monetary damages to cover your pain, suffering, disability, disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of consortium.

Typically the other party's insurance company will be required to pay those sums up to the amount of coverage their insured purchased. Sometimes, in cases with significant injuries and large damages, the person who caused the accident will not have purchased enough insurance to make you whole. In those cases you can bring an under insured motorist claim with your insurance company, if you have purchased that coverage. Also, sometimes the person who caused the accident may have significant personal assets greater than their insurance limits. In those cases you may be better off not taking the insurance money and trying to collect against the personal assets of the at fault party.

The bottom line is that this is a complicated question that really required a consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney. Most attorneys offer no charge consultations and work on a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if they win. Give me a call, I would be happy to talk about your case.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/24/2011
The Farber Law Group
The Farber Law Group | Herbert G. Farber
In a motor vehicle accident, the negligent party is responsible for the damages, including medical costs, loss of wages and pain and suffering of the accident victim(s).

Since your damages are sizable, we recommend that you contact a personal injury attorney who will work to help you obtain compensation for your damages in a civil action.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/24/2011
Magnuson Lowell P.S.
Magnuson Lowell P.S. | Richard S. Lowell
If the other driver is 'at fault,' that other driver can be held to pay. But of course, you can't get blood from a stone. Much will have to do with how much insurance the other driver has. And you probably have insurance, too - underinsured motorist coverage - that may be able to pay some. Also, the other driver might have some other person or entity that could be responsible. These are all issues you need to discuss with a qualified personal injury attorney. Feel free to call for a free consultation.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/24/2011
Click to View More Answers: