Can a US Citizen sponsor a parent who has overstayed on a visitor visa for more than 1 years? 3 Answers as of April 17, 2017

What are the complications?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
The short answer is "Yes", but they may need a waiver for hte overstay. I would suggest that you contact an experienced immigration attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your parent's situation. (S)he would then be in a better position to analyze their problem, advise you of your options and, if possible, make sure that the necessary paperwork and documentation is properly presented so as not to delay the process. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/17/2017
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
In connection with an adjustment of status application process in the Immediate Relative visa category (such as an adult U.S. citizen petitioning for a parent who entered the U.S. lawfully and with inspection), the fact that the parent may have overstayed an initial visa will not stand in the way of eligibility. It would be wise for you and your parent to consult with an immigration attorney, who, after learning all of the relevant information about your family, could advise about eligibilities, options and strategies, and could offer legal representation in the often complex application process.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/11/2017
Rivas-Rivera Law Offices
Rivas-Rivera Law Offices | Juan Ramon Rivas-Rivera
Yes, as long as the USC is, at least, 21 years old. Since the parent came in on a valid visa, he/she may adjust status here in the U.S. and obtain an employment authorization document without having to leave for their home country for their interview.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 4/11/2017
Click to View More Answers: