Can a US citizen marry an immigrant in another country and return to the US? 5 Answers as of May 31, 2011

Can a US citizen marry an immigrant in another country and return to the US? If so what would be those steps?

The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
Yes. A US citizen can marry an immigrant outside the US, but if the immigrant does not have a visa to enter the US, the US citizen must file for a K-3 spousal visa. This will result in some separation between the spouses. There may be other options that may result in less time spent apart, but I would need more information about your case. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.
Yes. I assume you would want to bring your new spouse with you. You will have to file a K-3 visa. First file an I-130 visa petition for your spouse (and children) and wait to receive the receipt on Form I-797 for it, then you will immediately file the I-129F along with the I-130 receipt. Once the I-129F is approved, USCIS send it over to the NVC for processing. The NVC will send a cable to the US consulate where your spouse is and let them know that his/her visa is ready to be processed and the consulate will pick it up from there. If the both the I-130 and I-129 are approved at the same time, then the NVC will not process the K-3 and will process only the I-130 visa petition. Therefore, the I-129F must be approved first. Good luck!
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
You can either file for a K3 visa for your spouse, or consular process an immigrant visa. Either way, your spouse should be able to join you within a year. Best of luck.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Yes but you probably won't be able to bring your spouse immediately. You have 2 choices. You can either file a fiance petition and get married within 90 days of her entry or get married abroad and file an I-130 petition. Either way, there will be a wait of several months for processing.
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
Yes. You can marry someone anywhere. The U.S. will recognize the marriage if both parties were legally able to marry and did so through proper authorities. For your new spouse to return to the U.S. you must prove that it is a valid marriage and apply for an immigrant visa. These proofs can be very difficult and you should hire an attorney to guide you through the process and complete the paperwork. It may also be possible to obtain a fiance visa and have your spouse come here to be married.