Can unemployment insurance come back after 3 years asking for money back from unemployment checks? 7 Answers as of October 22, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Yes, if you defrauded the unemployment insurance agency and took money when you were working.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 10/22/2013
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
They could if somehow you were paid incorrectly.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 10/22/2013
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
Yes, if the government determines that the checks were wrongly issued, you can be required to repay the money.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/22/2013
Yes. They are called overpayments. They can ask. As of late, they are doing more than asking. GA has beefed up its overpayment unit and collections. They are even filing suits to collect them. Do not forget - they know where you work now, since your new employer files quarterly wage reports. A garnishment of your wages will come thereafter. They can be reasonable if you contact them and establish a payment plan. Wait too long, and you will see their unreasonable side.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 10/22/2013
Law Offce of Richard N. Grey | Richard N. Grey
They can, if they have found a violation of their rules resulting from their original payment to the employee.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/22/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Yes indeed, if you wrongfully received benefits there are criminal and civil issues, see and attorney now, and before you speak or communicate with the authorities again.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 10/22/2013
    Law Office of Jack Longert, LLC | Jack Longert
    In the typical situation where the Department of Workforce Development determines that there was an over payment, yes. Without more details, I cannot comment further.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 10/22/2013
Click to View More Answers: