Can the trustee just take the money from my bank account after I filed chapter 7? 13 Answers as of July 30, 2014

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy and I did not list all my bank assets which were $11,000 cash in my bank account. My attorney filed a wild card exemption. My attorney withdrew as counsel. My court appointment is scheduled for August 11, 2014. I found out the trustee took $10,000 from my bank account.

If the property wasn't disclosed in your bankruptcy, then the Trustee had every right to seize it. If the property was disclosed, but wasn't exempted, then the Trustee had every right to seize it. If the property was disclosed and was fully exempted on Schedule C, then you may need to sue the trustee to get this property released and for the court to determine that this money was eligible to an exemption. So take a look at Schedule C & file an exemption, if needed & available.
They cannot just take it, they would have had to file a motion to get permission to. And if it was exempt from the wildcard then they certainly cannot take that money under any circumstances.
Law Office of Peter M. Lively
Law Office of Peter M. Lively | Peter M. Lively
A chapter 7 trustee has a duty to collect non-exempt assets. You should consult with potential replacement counsel to review your options.
No, the trustee can't just take money from your bank account when you file a Chapter 7 but the Bankruptcy Court can. I'm sure the trustee filed a motion for turnover with the court and you didn't file any response to the motion. Then the Court issued an order forcing your bank to give the money to the trustee. Your attorney probably withdrew because she/he found out that you had committed bankruptcy fraud by failing to list all your assets. Losing the $10,000 might not be the worst of your problems, I'm sure that the trustee has notified the U.S. Trustee that she/he suspects you've committed bankruptcy fraud and you could be facing criminal charges. DO NOT LIE TO YOUR ATTORNEY. DO NOT LIE ON YOUR BANKRUPTCY PETITION. DO NOT LIE WHEN UNDER OATH. DO NOT LIE TO YOUR SPOUSE/GIRLFRIEND (okay, that last is probably a bit far as legal advice but my wife was reading over my shoulder). Certainly, money problems can seem terrible, but - compared to going to prison - money problems are easy.
The trustee must have had a court order to do that. There was a recent U.S. Supreme Court case on surcharging exemptions. You need an experienced lawyer to look into this ASAP. I expect the appeal time has run or is running. And FYI - failing to list all your assets is a federal crime for which you can go to jail.
    Scott Goldstein | Scott Goldstein
    Unfortunately, if the exemption was insufficient to cover the funds, yes.
    Barnhart Law Office
    Barnhart Law Office | Bruce C Barnhart
    Yes, any asset you own at the time you file bankruptcy becomes property of the bankruptcy estate. This includes unlisted assets and assets you failed to disclose. Intentional failure to list or disclose an asset is a federal crime. You should seek the assistance of a criminal attorney and a bankruptcy specialist.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    If you did not properly disclose the assets, you may not be able to use the exemptions.
    The Law Office of M Grater LLC
    The Law Office of M Grater LLC | Mark O. Grater
    The trustee has the right to go after any non-exempt fund on behalf of your creditors.
    Barnes Law Firm, LLC | Aunna Peoples
    The short answer is yes. The next questions are, were the funds an exempt asset and why were they not listed in your schedules? In certain circumstances the funds would remain an exempt asset, even if you failed to list them. You should discuss this with an attorney prior to your scheduled court appearance.
    Boston Law Firm
    Boston Law Firm | Eryk Boston
    Any assets not covered by an exemption can be used by the Trustee to pay your creditors. Not disclosing assets is a serious mistake. If you forgot any other assets, you should declare them immediately or risk having your discharge denied or even the possibility or perjury charges. You may be able to protect them to some extent but not if you fail to disclose them. You may wish to have another attorney walk you through how to utilize all of your available exemptions.
    None of this sounds plausible. An attorney must ask leave of the court to withdraw and it is unlikely he would be granted without a hearing. A Trustee has no power to garnish an account in this situation.
    Yes, because you are required to list all assets and all debts. You can exempt many of your assets, and may still have time to amend the schedules. You must act quickly!