Can those creditors come after me if they didn’t file? 11 Answers as of October 26, 2016

My husband and I filed a chapter 13 in November 2015. Some of the creditors did not file against me or the time limit went out. I am thinking of stepping off. I am also thinking of firing my lawyer.

OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
Not quite enough information to answer your question. If you listed a credit with a valid address at the time you filed the case, then it is the creditor's fault that they did not file a claim in time to get any of the chapter 13 money. If you did not list them with a good address or you listed them too late, then it is your fault and the debts will survive bankruptcy. Your attorney can provide you with a "BNC matrix" of the 341(a) meeting that shows who got timely notice of the bankruptcy filing.
Keith M. Nathanson, PLLC
Keith M. Nathanson, PLLC | Keith Nathanson
Generally in a chapter 13, if a creditor who is notified does not file a timely proof of claim, they are barred from collecting in the chapter 13.
Creditors must file a Proof of Claim in a timely fashion if they are to get paid.
Creditors who hold dischargeable debts are forever barred from taking action against you if they fail to file a claim in your bankruptcy case. Most debts, credit cards, car loans, mortgages, medical bills, etc. are discharged. The most common types of debt which aren't dischargeable are: child support, spousal support, most student loans and some income taxes.
There's not enough information here to properly answer your question. Before you do anything, meet with an experienced BK lawyer. They will charge for the consultation, but better safe then sorry.
    If you dismiss the ch13 the creditors who failed to file a claim can come after you again. You have to complete the ch13 to get the benefits of a discharge.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    If you're considering dropping out of the bankruptcy, then the automatic stay against collection would no longer apply to you and creditors could come after you again. As long as you stay in the chapter 13, the creditors cannot attempt to collect and those who did not file claims cannot collect anything, as long as they had timely notice of your bankruptcy. It is possible to sever a bankruptcy case if you and your husband are not getting along or if you are dissatisfied with your lawyer. Then you would each have your own plan payment and separate case numbers but you would preserve the protection of the bankruptcy stay. In that scenario, you would want to have your own representation. This is not an uncommon situation and your new lawyer could handle everything.
    I can't comment about your thoughts of firing your lawyer: I have no idea about his or her performance. I do think that you should have a lawyer in whom you have confidence. In a chapter 13, If you list a creditor on your schedules, then his/her/its claim will be discharged whether or not they file a proof of claim. No doubt there are a few exceptions but that is the general rule. Filing a proof of claim only gives the creditor the right to participate in any distribution of funds.
    I have no idea what STEPPING OFF means. It sounds like your chapter 13 is going great. I also have no idea why you would want to fire your lawyer. Most ethical bankruptcy attorneys will not be willing to help you out of a jam if you fire your bankruptcy attorney and later get into trouble. You can accept advice or learn the hard way.
    They cannot come after you in bankruptcy as long as they received proper notice. If you dismiss the bankruptcy, they can pursue you still.
    Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C.
    Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C. | J. Thomas Black
    If creditors did not timely file proofs of claim, and the deadline for them to file has now run, they can no longer file a proof of claim so they will not be paid by the chapter 13. They would then be discharged so long as you complete your plan. If you do not complete your plan, they can start collecting from you again. If you have lost confidence in your lawyer, you can fire your lawyer. But if you are going to stay in bankruptcy, I would consider hiring a different lawyer to take the place of the lawyer that you fire.