Can this be considered as a legitimate bust? Why and why not? 6 Answers as of February 14, 2014

I was pulled over by police. He said I was stopped for illegal window tint. He asked me to roll window down to a specific level, I complied, then asked me to get out, I did. He put a meter on drivers window and window was legal (very light tint) he asked for license, registration and insurance. I gave them to him, all valid. He said he smelled an odor, the second officer stuck his head inside vehicle and said, green marijuana, probable cause. Asked if there was any in vehicle, I complied and said yes behind driver’s seat. There was approx. 4 grams of marijuana, small pipe, grinder with small amount in it, a cigar tube with several joint roaches and rolling papers. Was it a legitimate bust? I was handcuffed and released when officer said out loud "citation". A citation was issued for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. What should I do from here? Thanks.

That sounds legal.
Yes. Probable cause is necessary to make a stop. PC can be just about anything... cracked headlight, tail light broken, failure to stop, etc..... In your case it was the window tint. When you rolled down the window, the officer could smell marijuana. Good stop.
Robert S. Evans ESQ | Robert S. Evans ESQ
The stop seems to be based on probable cause, therefore appropriate. You do have "plea bargain" possibiklities which if done properly will enable you to aVOID HAVING A CRIMINAL RECORD.
You should retain an attorney. It appears it was a valid stop, re., tinted windows. They have a right to check license and insurance. If they smell an odor, with a valid stop, they have the right to investigate. And, it turns out that they were right.
I would need the details but it appears there may have been a reason for the stop, and therefore the rest of the actions. Get an attorney and provide the details.
    Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
    Get an attorney to review your facts in person. There are many aspects to this stop that may be challenged.