Can they threaten me with jail time because I did not want give my bank account? 7 Answers as of March 19, 2014

On August 24 2007, I wrote a bad check for $1000. I made 2 or 3 car payments and the vehicle broke down. I left the vehicle sit in my yard until they came to pick it up. I don't recalled receiving any letter from Honda land about the issue. Last Monday March 10 2014, I received a letter from a collection agency saying I owe $3776. My question is I willing to pay back for this issue but Mrs. Stephenson was getting an attitude with me because I’m like I don't have money now but willing to make arrangement. Mrs. Stephenson like I need your bank information no money order and we can make an arrangement for this. I’m skeptic about giving my bank account so she like Mr. Thomas needs to speak with you he like since you’re not cooperating I'm file legal issues you’re going to jail. So I'm like okay how can I resolve this we came up with arrangement for $677 over of 6 payments. So I gave my account information cause I don't want go to jail my first payment is on March 28, 2014. Can they threaten me with jail time because I did not want give my bank account? There like you need to make these payments on time because we can take this issues further and you can go to jail. Please I need some legal help on this matter.

They cannot threaten you with prosecution for failure to pay a debt. On the other hand, writing a bad check (I assume that was for the car) for $1,000 is grand larceny, a felony. So, first, make good on the check. Then see if you can work out a payment plan. Many of my bankruptcy clients come to me because they have numerous small or minor debts that they can barely manage, and then the repo hits and everything goes down the tubes.
There is no debtors? prison; this is not the dark ages. They are just trying to pressure you.
Yes It is called contempt of court.
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
No he cannot do that. It is a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. You are entitled to up to $1,000 plus attorney fees. We handle these cases.
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
You cannot go to jail for not paying a debt. If a debt collector threatens jail it is a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The statute of limitations for failure to pay for goods (car) is 4 years. The statute of limitations on a dishonored check in Illinois is 3 years for the check and 2 years for the civil penalties. All of these run from the later of breach/ last payment. Threatening legal action on a time-barred debt violates the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and payments made on account of an illegal threat after the statute has run do not count. If the 2007 date is correct, and the payments were made in 2007, the statute of limitations has run. It would appear that you have been scammed. I suggest that you change accounts IMMEDIATELY before you find them drained. I also suggest that you contact an attorney who practices in this area, as if the scammer can be located, you have a claim for damages for the FDCPA violations.
    Law Office of Barry R. Levine | Barry R. Levine, Esq.
    They can threaten you with whatever they like. Not giving them your bank information is not a criminal violation of anything. Why should you do their work for them.
    They can put you in jail for refusing to make good the bad check you wrote for $1000 but not for the car debt.