Can they take possession of my vehicle while it is still being financed and if so will it affect my girl friend's credit? 11 Answers as of October 11, 2013

My vehicle was levied by a credit card company who sued me and got judgement. The vehicle is financed and still has 3 years left on the loan. My girlfriend co-signed on the loan.

Richard L. Hirsh, P.C. | Richard L. Hirsh
The creditor can levy on the vehicle, but they take the vehicle subject to the interest of the finance company.
It will affect her credit unless the loan is paid off.
Paul Stuber, Attorney at Law
Paul Stuber, Attorney at Law | Paul Stuber
The original car loan takes priority over the judgement creditor.
Has the vehicle already been taken? If so, you may be able to use state laws called exemptions to protect your vehicle from the levy. The fact that this vehicle is financed makes it unlikely that a judgment creditor will take it, since they would need to pay off the company financing the purchase of the vehicle before being able to reach any value in the car.
If the loan is not paid that will be hit on her credit. That is the purpose of co-signer.
    If you do not have the pink slip, I do not see how they can put a levy on it. The car still belongs to the finance company.
    Stuart P Gelberg
    Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
    It is possible but unlikely. If the auto loan goes into default her credit will be affected?
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    If your vehicle has equity you may claim up to $15,000 exempt under Nevada law. If there is equity above and beyond the exception amount the creditor can sell the car, pay off the bank, give you $15,000 and apply the balance to the judgment.
    The Law Offices of Deborah Ann Stencel | Deborah A. Stencel
    If your monthly payments are not being made, your car may be repossessed. The procedure varies from state to state, but in Wisconsin, they must send you a warning letter first. If the car is repossessed and sold, the unpaid balance can be collected from you and/or your girlfriend. The delinquent payments and the repossession and any lawsuits will be report on your credit and your co-signer's credit. To protect your co-signer, you need to get the loan current and prevent repossession.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    No but you may not be able to sell it.
    SmithMarco, P.C.
    SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
    If payments are still continually made on the vehicle loan, her credit will not be hurt. If payments are no longer made, it will hurt her. Her credit standing is all about how she handles payment obligations. Thus, when a loan is taken out, the bank only cares about whether or not she makes all payments, on time, and pays off the loan. She does that she'll have good credit. The bank hardly knows or cares whether she actually physically has the car. They only care about if the loan is getting paid.