Can they still charge me if I pass a lie detector test? 20 Answers as of May 28, 2013

Someone stole money from my work and they think I did it because I had asked my boss for a pay advance and told him I needed help making my rent this month. I didn't steal it though, and I took a lie detector test at the police station and felt good about it afterword, but they are still threatening to press charges against me unless I confess and return the money. I didn't take it and I don't have any money to give them but I don' want to go to jail either.

Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
Shane Law Office
Shane Law Office | Robert J. Shane
The lie detector test result can not be used against you at trial. You should retain an attorney to defend the case.
Lie detectors are not reliable.
Natty Shafer Law
Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
No, a lie detector test does not usually affect their ability to press charges. Keep in mind, that in order to send you to jail, a prosecutor needs to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you stole the money. If they only have suspicions because you needed money at some point, that is not going to be enough.
Lie detector tests are not reliable, hence, are not admissible in court. Hence, you could still be charged.
    You can still be charged if you pass the lie detector.
    Downing Law Firm | George E Downing. Jr.
    Yes. The test is purely an investigative tool.
    You didn't tell me whether you passed the test, only that you "felt good about it afterwards". That is not the same. The results of a lie detector test may help, but the results are inadmissible in court. I would suggest that you retain an attorney who can review this case in detail and advise you accordingly.
    Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
    Yes, I would suggest you contact a criminal defense attorney in your area as soon as possible.
    A lie detector is not admissible in court. Your first mistake was to talk to the police. The second was to take the lie detector. You need to stop talking to the cops. They can charge what they want but they can't prove it.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    Lie detector test reports are not admissible as evidence in court, because they are not considered reliable enough. Anyone might be accused of committing a crime at any time, regardless of whether that person has in fact broken the law.
    Get a lawyer. They are trying to extort money from you when they can't prove a case this is illegal. Do not talk with any of them any more.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    Passing a polygraph may influence whether charges are filed or not, but it will not prevent them. They need evidence, and it does not sound like they have any evidence - only suspicion. If I were you, I would not agree to any additional interviews, etc. You did what they asked and they need to leave you alone.
    If you did not take the funds they should not be able to say you did! You will need to defend yourself. By the way, you did not mention if you "passed" or "failed" the polygraph.
    If you passed the lie detector test, and they have no independent evidence with which to charge you, I seriously doubt that charges will be pressed. If you are charged, retain an attorney who can obtain all the evidence in the prosecution's possession and advise you of the best way to proceed with the case.
    Rizio & Nelson
    Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
    Lie detector tests are a total sham. They're unreliable junk science and the results are generally inadmissible in court. Remember, OJ passed a polygraph. Police administer lie detectors if they believe that you might confess or get yourself caught in a lie. For some reason, people get intimidated when they're hooked up to the machines and they start spilling the beans. Long answer short, simply passing a polygraph will not guarantee that you will not be charged with the crime. Good luck.
    Lie-detector is not admissible in court, so of course they can still charge you.
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    It is not good to take a lie detector test. It cannot be used as evidence if you passed it. If they keep questioning you, get an attorney.
    Cook, Skeen & Robinson, LLC
    Cook, Skeen & Robinson, LLC | Shawn H. Robinson
    They can still file charges. Do not confess. Do not speak to police either. If police try to talk to you, advise them that you have a lawyer. You should consult a lawyer.