Can they legally sue my mom’s estate for the past rent even though they were aware of her passing and my brother living there? 4 Answers as of November 18, 2013

My mother lived in a mobile home for several years but the title was never transferred to her name. She passed away in December 2012 and my step brother continued to live in the mobile home. It sits in a mobile home park with a monthly lot rent. He had stopped paying the lot rent and had moved out, leaving a past due balance. The mobile home park is now saying that mom’s estate (no estate account or anyone named executrix) is liable.

Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
If there was a lease mom's estate is liable for the balance of the lease term.
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
If your mother was the tenant on the mobile home lot, and Notice was never provided to the landlord regarding your mothers death, then her state would be liable to the landlord, and your brother would be liable to the estate.
They are correct, the estate owes.
Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
What did her lease say? If there was no lease, and it was only month to month, then they have no legitimate claim. They are probably just fishing for deep pockets.