Can they continue to harass me at work and call my place of business? How? 6 Answers as of June 30, 2015

I have an old, unpaid credit card debt. The last payment I made was in 2013. My employer is now suddenly getting calls from a collection agency to "confirm my employment" etc. I did call them back once. They were only interested in me making a large lump sum payment to settle the debt, which of course I can't do right now. What are my rights?

If they are harassing you then we can sue them for harassment and you will get money damages and they will also pay your legal fees. However, we would need to know the details of the case to know if it is actually considered harassment.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq. | Stacy Joel Safion
Try negotiating for a lesser amount.
They can continue to call to try and collect until you pay or take a BK.
See an attorney, they can call you but, if you state (best in writing) not to call your employer or you at work, they may not. they may be violating some of the laws which regulate debt collection.
Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen
Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen | Joshua Cohen
They cannot tell employer why they are calling - that you owe money.
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    The calls to your employer violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. You have the right to instruct a debt collector not to call you at work if your employer does not approve of your conducting personal business. I suggest you do so in writing, although it is not required. You also have the right to instruct a debt collector not to contact you at all. This has to be done in writing. All the debt collector can do is file suite.