Can they call the police to get me escorted out of their home? 11 Answers as of May 28, 2013

We have live with my fiance’s sister for 3 months now and they told us to get out by the 1st, which was okay with us. But it’s still 5 days before and we got a call that his sister's boyfriend was on his way home to call the police to have us removed, can they legally do that since I paid Decembers rent and it is not the 1st yet?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal
Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal | Sandeep G. Agarwal
If you have an oral arrangement and you can prove that you have paid the rent for the month, then no, they can not have you removed by simply calling the police. You tell the police that you are a tenant and have paid rent for the days in question.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/4/2013
Law Offices of Gerald A. Bagazinski
Law Offices of Gerald A. Bagazinski | Gerald A. Bagazinski
They can but the police will generally not get involved unless there is an eviction order issued by a District Court Judge.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/4/2013
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
Probably not. They would have to go through an unlawful detainer proceedings before they can evict you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/4/2013
Sultan Law Office | Gregory Sultan
No - But you never know what the police will do.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/4/2013
Greenbaum, Nagel, Fisher & Paliotti LLP | Stephen A. Greenbaum
If you have established an actual tenancy relationship and are not just guests they cannot force you out without a court order.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 1/4/2013
    Law Office of Peter Holzer | Peter Holzer
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/28/2013
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    They can call the police, but since you are paying rent they probably cannot have you removed unless you pose a threat of physical harm to them. In fact, since you have been there more than 20 days, you could force them to go to court and evict you.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 1/2/2013
    Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
    It is unlikely that in the absence of a breach of the peace that the police will get involved in this matter without a court order for your removal.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/4/2013
    The Law Offices of Tres A. Porter | Tres A. Porter
    No. If you show the police proof that you are renting, they will tell everyone that it is a civil matter and you have to be served with a lawsuit for an unlawful detainer, and a judgment entered and a writ of possession served by the County Sheriff's Department before you can be evicted.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/2/2013
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    No. They need to take you to court first.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland
    Replied: 1/4/2013
    Winnick Ruben Hoffnung Peabody & Mendel, LLC | Daniel N. Hoffnung
    No way.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 1/4/2013
Click to View More Answers: