Can a text message be considered an extension of my lease? 9 Answers as of May 23, 2013

I am currently renting a room in someone's house and had signed a three month lease, with a month-to-month agreement after the initial three month term. When I had moved in I told my "landlord" that I was unsure if I would be staying in this area for another semester of college after the current one or if I would be transferring at the end of this semester. About a two weeks ago I received a text from him saying; "what are your plans for January?" To which I responded; "staying here for another semester." The reason for that reply was because I thought it was someone else texting me. I had been out at the bar, and was heading over to a friend’s house that evening who happens to have the same name as the person I'm renting the room from. When I said "here" I meant staying in this area, not in this guy's house. So, can that text message be considered an agreement to extend my current month-to-month lease until Spring?

Fidelity National Title Insurance Company
Fidelity National Title Insurance Company | Andrew Capelli
No, that should not be considered binding. You were not asked if you were renewing your lease, just about your "plans." Your response doesn't clearly indicate a renewal, either.
Greenbaum, Nagel, Fisher & Paliotti LLP | Stephen A. Greenbaum
Courts have recently found that electronic communication can be as binding as a paper writing. The key is whether both sender and receiver intended the communication to be a binding contract.
Victor Varga | Victor Varga
No.
Sultan Law Office | Gregory Sultan
It could be.
    Ken Love Law | Kenneth Love
    It could very well be argued that the text was an affirmation that you planned to stay. You need to rescind it immediately if that is your wish.
    Law Office of Peter Holzer | Peter Holzer
    That's unlikely. You indicated that your tenancy is on a month-to-month basis now. A text message won't change that. To be sure, however, you should e-mail your true intent to your landlord as soon as possible.
    Winnick Ruben Hoffnung Peabody & Mendel, LLC | Daniel N. Hoffnung
    Not an extension without landlord's written consent.
    Law Office of Phyl van Ammers | Phyl van Ammers
    Write your "landlord" and immediately clear up the problem.