Can a tennant be responsible for damages without an occupancy permit? Posted on March 25, 2011

I am currently in charge of my late mother's estate. After the house sat on the market for several years, my nephew offered to move in and help pay the utilities/taxes necessary to keep the home running. An occupancy permit was never obtained through the city (Dearborn, MI). He later moved out, but allowed his girlfriend to remain. The house now has irreparable damage to the walls, floors, appliances, etc. There was no agreement allowing the girlfriend to vacate the premises. Due to the fact that an occupancy permit was never obtained, would I be able to recover damages from my nephew? Please keep in mind that he is blood-kin to the original estate owner (his grand-daughter). Any information is appreciated, more so if a specific case number can be provided.