Can tenant sue me for contacting his employer? 4 Answers as of February 28, 2014

My previous tenant asked to do an early lease termination so that they can move out of state due to a job change. Our relationship had been tense because for the 3 years he was living in the property, he had been late 90% of the time. So by the time he left, he didn't even tell me where they were moving to. I signed off on his early lease termination trusting that he has paid all his utility bills including water bill. But he didn't and left me with a $395 water bill. After two months attempting to contact him and getting him to respond to no avail, and not knowing any other way to get him respond, I contacted his employer. I apologized for having to contact his supervisor but I really had no choice because I trusted him and he just wouldn't pay! He apparently knows or learned the legal stuff and sent me an email asking me to stop contacting his employer. I had no idea until I got his next email and after I Googled why he sent that email. I simply replied and told him that I don't enjoy any of this and make your payment and I will bother no one. He then immediately sent over an email and said that he will sue me for contacting his employer to collect debt. He then will sue me for slander and defamation. I said nothing that was untrue. The emails I sent to his employer simply expressed my frustration that I trusted him, he left me with this huge water bill and he just wouldn't respond and pay? What rights do I have and what actions shall I take right now?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
This a collection issue, not a landlord tenant Q. Of course anyone can sue for anything.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/28/2014
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
Harassing the employer may indeed subject you to liability. Just sue in Small Claims.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/28/2014
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
File a small claims action against the tenant for the amount owed, if it exceeds any deposit you received the time of the rental arrangement, and then use the judgment to garnish his wages from his employer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/27/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Get an attorney and sue him for the debt.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/27/2014
Click to View More Answers: