Can the tenant request for a copy of rental agreement? 1 Answers as of June 27, 2011

I have lived in my apartment for almost 2 years (it will be 2 years July 1st). I lost my copy of my rental agreement and I asked the onsite building manager for a copy of it. She flat out refused to provide me with one saying she had no legal obligation to do so. I was asking for it simply because I needed it for school tuition purposes. She also refused to give me any way to contact the managing company such as address or phone number, saying she only had to tell me the name of the company and nothing more. So, I looked up the rights of renters in the state of California and found the California Civil Code 1962 (a)(4) law. Is this enough grounds to request a new copy of the lease? We have only been given the original, which was only 1 year long. We are now doing a month-to-month lease.

Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
You are correct that 1962(a)(4) entitles you to a copy of the lease. However, if they fail to comply your remedy is to sue them in small claims for damages. Show them the statute and see what happens.