Can a student with an expired visa, and is being sent back to his country be released from a rental lease by law? 1 Answers as of May 27, 2014

Or is he still responsible for the contract? Can we collect monies from foreign students who return to their country? Do we have recourse when they damage their apartment?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
If a tenant is deported back to their home country, you probably do not have recourse unless you want to try to litigate the issue in their home country. As a practical matter, this is not likely and very expensive. If they come back, and assuming the applicable statute of limitations has not expired, you might have recourse available, but again, as a practical matter, not very likely. The tenant is liable for the damages, and deportation does not release them from the lease, but there is probably very little you can do about it.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/27/2014
Click to View More Answers: