Can a student on f-1 visa add her husband as dependent on I-20 form? 2 Answers as of May 31, 2011

I am in U.S. on F-1 visa, enrolled in private school for English language for international students. My fiance is in U.S. on B1/B2 visa. We got married here 3 months after we entered U.S. together. I want to add him on my I-20 so that he can apply for F-2 visa. School doesn't want to change I-20. I don't want to change school. What can I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You do not have to change your I-20 at all. Since he entered the US with a visa, he will be able to change his status to an F-4 if his visa is still valid and he qualifies for that classification. This is true whether your school agrees with it or not. He just has to qualify for the status that he is seeking, which is the F-4. As an F-4, he does not have to go to your school. He just has to be married to you. So, file Form I-539 change of status form and see what happens. The reason I would do it this way is that he is here in the US and usually a change of status is available to those with any kind of a visa that is still valid. Now, if he is turned down, then he can go back to your (or his) country and get an F-4 there. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/31/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Apply visa with your I-20. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: