Can a student on F1 get a green card? 5 Answers as of January 26, 2011

I am staying here almost 3 years. And I heard that there is an option that after a few years of study here I can apply for green card! Is that true? Can I apply for that if I get my F1 here in the US? And how many years do I need to study? How long will this process take?

False rumor. Student like everyone else would need to have a family or employer or potentially self-sponsor if they qualify in one of the higher categories based on achievements and reputation.

We would be happy to consult with you on these options if you contact me as indicated below.
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
A student cannot change status to immigrant, unless through family-based or employment-based immigration.

What you have heard is a cruel lie. People who are not lawyers often speak irresponsibly on matters of the law.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
No, there is no F-1 to greencard process. You can go from F-1 to an employment visa and then possibly to greencard but it really depends on your job prospects.
There is no law that allows someone who has a F1 student visa and attend school and/or obtain a degree to obtain a Green Card merely because they did so. Aliens in the U.S. may be petition for a Green Card by a family member or by and employer under certain circumstances, but the process has nothing to do with whether the person attended school in the U.S.
No, it is not true. F1 holder does not automatically qualify for green card, You will either have a job or have a family-based reason to apply for immigrant visa in order to adjust status to green card holder. Good luck!