Can a student on F1 get a green card? 5 Answers as of January 26, 2011

I am staying here almost 3 years. And I heard that there is an option that after a few years of study here I can apply for green card! Is that true? Can I apply for that if I get my F1 here in the US? And how many years do I need to study? How long will this process take?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
False rumor. Student like everyone else would need to have a family or employer or potentially self-sponsor if they qualify in one of the higher categories based on achievements and reputation.

We would be happy to consult with you on these options if you contact me as indicated below.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/26/2011
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
A student cannot change status to immigrant, unless through family-based or employment-based immigration.

What you have heard is a cruel lie. People who are not lawyers often speak irresponsibly on matters of the law.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/19/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
No, there is no F-1 to greencard process. You can go from F-1 to an employment visa and then possibly to greencard but it really depends on your job prospects.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/18/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
There is no law that allows someone who has a F1 student visa and attend school and/or obtain a degree to obtain a Green Card merely because they did so. Aliens in the U.S. may be petition for a Green Card by a family member or by and employer under certain circumstances, but the process has nothing to do with whether the person attended school in the U.S.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/18/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
No, it is not true. F1 holder does not automatically qualify for green card, You will either have a job or have a family-based reason to apply for immigrant visa in order to adjust status to green card holder. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: